Skip To Page Content

September 25, 2009

Missouri Hog and Pig Numbers 3 Percent Below Year Earlier

(COLUMBIA, Mo.) - The September 1, 2009 inventory of Missouri hogs and pigs is estimated at 3.05 million head according to the USDA’s Missouri Agricultural Statistics Service. This is down 3 percent from a year earlier but up 2 percent from the June 1 estimate. “While producers have reduced the breeding herd size in Missouri, the total number of hogs and pigs has not declined as rapidly.” says Gene Danekas, Director. "As production practices continue to improve litter rates and saved pigs, the increased production from each sow is helping producers survive during this period of low prices." Breeding hogs are estimated at 350,000 head, down 7 percent from a year ago but 1 percent above last quarter. Market hogs are estimated at 2.70 million head, 3 percent below a year earlier but 2 percent above June 1.

The June-August pig crop was estimated at 1.85 million head, down 2 percent from the same period a year earlier but 2 percent above the March-May quarter. Farrowings, at 185,000 sows, were 10,000 head below a year ago but unchanged from last quarter. Pigs saved per litter, at 10.0 pigs, rose 3 percent from the 9.70 pigs saved a year earlier and was up 2 percent from 9.80 pigs saved the previous quarter.

Missouri hog producers intend to farrow 185,000 sows during September-November 2009, the same as the number that were actually farrowed during the same period a year earlier. During December 2009-February 2010 hog producers also expect to farrow 185,000 sows, also the same number as farrowed a year earlier.

United States Hog Inventory down 2 Percent

U.S. inventory of all hogs and pigs on September 1, 2009 was 66.6 million head. This was down 2 percent from September 1, 2008 but up 1 percent from June 1, 2009. Breeding inventory in the U. S., at 5.87 million head, was down 3 percent from last year and down 2 percent from the previous quarter. The U. S. market hog inventory, at 60.8 million head, was down 2 percent from last year but up 1 percent from last quarter.

The U. S. June-August 2009 pig crop, at 28.8 million head, was down 2 percent from 2008 and down 1 percent from 2007. Sows farrowing in the U. S. during this period totaled 2.97 million head, down 4 percent from 2008 and down 5 percent from 2007. The sows farrowed during this quarter represented 50 percent of the breeding herd. The average pigs saved per litter for the U. S. was a record high 9.70 for the June-August 2009 period, compared to 9.51 last year. Pigs saved per litter by size of operation ranged from 7.40 for operations with 1-99 hogs and pigs to 9.80 for operations with more than 5,000 hogs and pigs. U.S. hog producers intend to farrow 2.94 million sows during the September-November 2009 quarter, down 3 percent from the actual farrowings during the same period in 2008, and down 8 percent from 2007. Intended farrowings for December 2009-February 2010, at 2.93 million sows, are down 3 percent from 2009 and down 5 percent from 2008.

The total number of hogs under contract owned by operations with over 5,000 head, but raised by contractees, accounted for 46 percent of the total U.S. hog inventory, up from 43 percent last year.