Skip To Page Content

March 26, 2010

Missouri Hog and Pig Numbers Decrease 3 Percent From December

(COLUMBIA, Mo.) - The March 1, 2010 inventory of Missouri hogs and pigs is estimated at 3 million head according to the USDA’s Missouri Agricultural Statistics Service. “Producers are slowly scaling back on breeding stock as litter rates continue to improve,” says Gene Danekas, Director. “Total inventories are 100,000 head below December but 50,000 head above last March.” Breeding hogs are estimated at 355,000 head, 1 percent below the previous quarter and 3 percent below last year. Market hogs are estimated at 2.65 million head, 3 percent above December 1, 2009 but 2 percent above a year earlier.

The December-February 2009/2010 pig crop was estimated at 1.85 million head, up 4 percent from the same period a year earlier but 1 percent below the September-November 2009 quarter. Farrowings, at 195,000 sows, were up 5,000 sows from a year ago and from the previous quarter. Pigs saved per litter, at 9.5 pigs, rose 2 percent from the 9.35 pigs saved a year earlier but fell 4 percent from the 9.9 pigs saved the previous quarter.

Missouri hog producers intend to farrow 190,000 sows during March-May 2010, 5,000 head more than the number that were actually farrowed during the same period a year earlier. During June-August 2010, hog producers expect to farrow 190,000 sows, also 5,000 head more than the actual farrowings in the comparable period a year earlier.

U.S. Hog Inventory down 3 Percent

U.S. inventory of all hogs and pigs on March 1, 2010 was 64.0 million head. This was down 3 percent from March 1, 2009 and down 2 percent from December 1, 2009.

Breeding inventory, at 5.76 million head, was down 4 percent from last year and down 2 percent from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 58.2 million head, was down 3 percent from last year and down 2 percent from last quarter.

The December 2009-February 2010 pig crop, at 27.9 million head, was down 2 percent from 2009 and down 2 percent from 2008. Sows farrowing during this period totaled 2.90 million head, down 4 percent from 2009 and down 6 percent from 2008. The sows farrowed during this quarter represented 50 percent of the breeding herd. The average pigs saved per litter was a record high 9.61 for the December 2009-February 2010 period, compared to 9.48 last year. Pigs saved per litter by size of operation ranged from 7.40 for operations with 1-99 hogs and pigs to 9.70 for operations with more than 5,000 hogs and pigs.