Skip To Page Content

September 28, 2011

Missouri Hog and Pig Inventory up from June

(COLUMBIA, Mo.)  - The September 1, 2011 inventory of Missouri hogs and pigs is estimated at 2.85 million head according to the USDA’s Missouri Agricultural Statistics Service.  “Even with high corn prices, Missouri is seeing an increase in total inventory,” says Gene Danekas, Director.  “Sows farrowed is unchanged from a year ago, but has recovered from the declining trend of the last three quarters.”  Breeding hogs are estimated at 360,000 head, 1.4 percent above the previous quarter and 4.3 percent above last year.  Market hogs are estimated at 2.49 million head, up 1.8 percent from June 1, 2011 but 4.4 percent below a year earlier.

The June-August pig crop was estimated at 1.995 million head, up 7 percent from the same period a year earlier and up 4.7 percent to the March-May quarter. Farrowings, at 190,000 sows, were up 5,000 sows from the previous quarter and unchanged from last year.  Pigs saved per litter, at 10.5 pigs, is the highest pigs per litter on record, up 2.0 percent from the 10.3 pigs saved in the last quarter and 7.1 percent from the 10.0 pigs saved the same quarter a year earlier.

Missouri hog producers intend to farrow 185,000 sows during September-November, 5,000 head more than the number that were actually farrowed during the same period a year earlier.  During December-February, hog producers expect to farrow 190,000 sows, 15,000 head more than the actual farrowings in the comparable period a year earlier.

United States Hog Inventory up 1 Percent

United States inventory of all hogs and pigs on September 1, 2011 was 66.6 million head. This was up 1 percent from September 1, 2010, and up 3 percent from June 1, 2011. 

Breeding inventory, at 5.81 million head, was up 1 percent from last year, and up slightly from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 60.8 million head, was up 1 percent from last year, and up 3 percent from last quarter.

The June-August 2011 pig crop, at 29.1 million head, was up 1 percent from 2010 and up 1 percent from 2009. Sows farrowing during this period totaled 2.90 million head, down 1 percent from 2010 and down 2 percent from 2009. The sows farrowed during this quarter represented 50 percent of the breeding herd. The average pigs saved per litter was a record high 10.03 for the June-August 2011 period, compared to 9.81 last year. Pigs saved per litter by size of operation ranged from 7.50 for operations with 1-99 hogs and pigs to 10.10 for operations with more than 5,000 hogs and pigs.

The total number of hogs under contract owned by operations with over 5,000 head, but raised by contractees, accounted for 46 percent of the total United States hog inventory, up from 43 percent last year.