The USDA NASS
 New York Field Offic
e

"
Fact Finders for Agriculture"

E-mail: nass-ny@nass.usda.gov
(518) 457-5570

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Contact:  Marisa Reuber
Thursday, January 24, 2008

www.nass.usda.gov/ny

VALUE OF NEW YORK FRUIT PRODUCTION INCREASES

The value of New York’s 2007 tree fruit and grape production totaled $346 million, up 10 percent from the 2006 value, according to Stephen Ropel, Director of USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service, New York office.   The value of utilized production was above the previous year for all fruits except peaches and pears.

The 2007 apple crop in New York was up 2 percent to 1.27 billion pounds.  This year’s value of utilized apple production, based on packinghouse door equivalent returns, totaled $269 million.  New York ranks second in apple production behind Washington.

Grape production in New York increased 16 percent from 2006 to 180,000 tons.  Fresh grapes totaled 4,000 tons while 176,000 tons were crushed by wineries and processors.  Grapes utilized for juice accounted for 77 percent of the total grapes processed with the remaining 23 percent going for wine.

The value of the 2007 grape crop is estimated at $49.2 million, 22 percent above the 2006 crop value.  New York ranked third in grape production behind California and Washington.

New York’s tart cherry crop is estimated at 13.0 million pounds, up 25 percent from the 2006 crop of 10.4 million pounds.  The value of utilized production is estimated at $4.37 million.

New York sweet cherry production, at 1,190 tons, is up 24 percent from the 960 tons produced in 2006.  The 2007 crop is valued at $3.52 million compared to $1.97 million a year ago.

Peach production for the Empire State is placed at 6,300 tons, down 10 percent from the 2006 level.  The value of the 2007 crop, at $4.00 million, is down 11 percent from 2006.

Production of pears in New York is estimated at 11,000 tons, down 31 percent from the 2006 output of 16,000 tons.  The 2007 crop is valued at $5.12 million, down 23 percent from 2006. New York ranks fourth nationally in pear production.  The information in this release is available by free email subscription by subscribing to New York reports at www.nass.usda.gov/ny.

#

1-24-08