The USDA NASS
 New York Field Offic
e

"
Fact Finders for Agriculture"

E-mail: nass-ny@nass.usda.gov
(518) 457-5570

POTATOES

Released September 24, 2007
Seasonal
No. 987-5-07

2006 NEW YORK POTATO VALUE UP

The results of the 2006 potato disposition and utilization survey show the value of New York's 2006 potato crop to be $68.4 million, 7 percent above the 2005 value, according to USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service, New York field office.

 

Production was up 9 percent from 2005. Sales increased 10 percent and the average price per hundredweight (cwt.) was $12.00, or $0.20 more than the 2005 price of $12.20.

FALL POTATOES:  Production, farm disposition, season average price, and value,

New York and United States, 2005-2006

 

Production

Used

for

seed

Farm Disposition

Used on Farm

Sold

Price

per

cwt.

Value of

Seed, feed, household

use

Shrinkage

and loss

Production

Sales

     

1,000 cwt.

   

Dollars

1,000 dollars

2005

N.Y.

5,226

453

100

491

4,635

12.20

63,757

56,547

U.S.

382,743

22,415

4,545

27,115

351,083

6.53

2,504,612

2,290,850

                 

2006

               

N.Y.

5,700

460

100

480

5,120

12.00

68,400

61,440

U.S.

398,921

23,337

4,482

28,576

365,863

6.68

2,671,119

2,445,026

 

2006 U.S. POTATO PRODUCTION UP 4 PERCENT

Total 2006 potato production is estimated at 441 million cwt, up 2 percent from the estimate made in the January Crop Production 2006 Summary and 4 percent above the 2005 crop.  Harvested area, at 1.12 million acres, increased 3 percent from the record low set a year ago.  The average yield of 393 cwt per acre is a record high, up 3 cwt from 2005 and 2 cwt above the previous record high set in 2003.

The  value  of  all  potatoes  sold  in  2006  is estimated at $2.98 billion, up 8 percent from the previous year.  The average price, at $7.33 per cwt, is up $0.27 from a year earlier.  Sales from the 2006 potato crop totaled 407 million cwt, up 4 percent from 2005.

 

Sales account for 92 percent of 2006 production.  Non-sales account for 34.6 million cwt, 4 percent above the previous year.  Over the past five years, 92 percent of the potatoes grown have been sold.  The other 8 percent were either lost (shrinkage and loss) or used on farms where grown (seed, home use, and livestock feed).

Processors used 280 million cwt of raw potatoes from the 2006 crop, up 14 percent from a year earlier.  Table stock sales totaled 101 million cwt, 16 percent below the previous year.  Seed sales of 23.7 million cwt are up 6 percent from 2005.  Sales for livestock feed, at 1.66 million cwt, are down 17 percent from a year earlier.

POTATOES:  Utilization of Crops, United States, 2003-2006

Utilization Items

2003

2004

2005

2006

 

1,000 cwt.

Sales

       

Table Stock

133,143

130,418

120,372

101,383

         

Processing

       

  Chips and Shoestrings

52,790

50,068

50,998

67,034

  Dehydration 1/

48,418

48,541

42,312

54,590

  Frozen French Fries

126,515

131,592

123,298

129,469

  Other Frozen Products

23,870

23,003

24,747

24,859

  Canned Products

3,086

2,843

2,120

2,200

  Other Canned Products  (Hash, Stews, Soups)

1,168

984

934

795

  Starch, Flour, and Other

1,379

1,531

1,582

1,097

Total

257,226

258,562

245,991

280,044

         

Other Sales

       

  Livestock Feed

2,005

1,942

1,999

1,660

  Seed

24,603

22,915

22,254

23,671

         

Total

26,608

24,857

24,253

25,331

         

Total Sales

416,977

413,837

390,616

406,758

         

Non-Sales

       

  Seed Used on Farms Where Grown

4,000

3,601

3,595

3,503

  Household Use and Used for Feed

      on Farms Where Grown

1,543

1,195

1,196

1,235

  Shrinkage and Loss 2/

35,294

37,408

28,519

29,852

         

Total Non-Sales

40,837

42,204

33,310

34,590

         

TOTAL PRODUCTION

457,814

456,041

423,926

441,348

         

1/ Dehydrated products except starch and flour.

2/ Includes potatoes disposed of by the United Fresh Potato Growers of Idaho for 2004.