E-mail: nass-ny@nass.usda.gov
(518) 457-5570

FRUIT


Released January 24, 2001
Seasonal
No. 975-2-01

SURVEY OF WINERIES AND GRAPE PROCESSING PLANTS
NEW YORK

New York grown grapes delivered to wineries and processing plants (both in and out-of-state) in 2000 totaled 152,000 tons. This represents a decrease of 25 percent from the 202,000 tons delivered from the 1999 crop. The tonnage delivered from the Chautauqua-Erie-Cattaraugus Region was down 27 percent from the previous year. Grapes received from the Finger Lakes Region were down 19 percent from the 1999 receipts. Tonnage originating in Niagara County was down one percent from a year ago. New York grown grapes by variety, major growing area, and varietal prices paid by processors are accounted for on the reverse side of this release.

Wineries and processing plants located in New York State crushed 144,230 tons of grapes in 2000, down 25 percent from the 192,630 tons processed from the 1999 crop. Receipts from New York growers accounted for 85 percent of the total with the remaining 15 percent coming from other states and Canada. Wine crushings in New York plants decreased 21 percent from last year to 48,094 tons and accounted for 33 percent of all grapes processed. Tonnage utilized for juice and other products decreased 27 percent to 96,136 tons. Data for this publication was provided by New York and out-of-state wineries and processors who crushed New York grown grapes. Their cooperation is greatly appreciated.
 
 

GRAPES PROCESSED IN NEW YORK STATE WINERIES AND PROCESSING PLANTS
Tonnages Received by Variety and Primary Use, 1999 and 2000

Total Receipts New York Plants 1/ Primary Utilization
Wine Sweet Juice and Other
1999 2000 1999 2000 1999 2000
American Varieties:
Catawba 10,144 7,132 7,689 5,205 2,455 1,927
Concord 146,842 106,028 29,633 21,600 117,209 84,428
Delaware 1,228 633 1,228 614 - 2/
Ives 198 135 198 135 - -
Elvira 5,394 4,176 5,394 4,176 - -
Niagara 13,639 11,549 2,120 2,287 11,519 9,262
French Hybrids:
Aurora 4,145 4,020 3,988 3,764 157 256
Baco Noir 705 711 703 711 2/ -
Cayuga White 830 731 730 581 100 150
deChaunac 911 654 890 654 2/ -
Rougeon 630 525 606 525 2/ -
Seyval Blanc 1,061 647 1,061 647 - -
Vitis Vinifera:
All 3,918 4,688 3,893 4,630 2/ 2/
Other Varieties:
All 2,985 2,601 2,985 2,565 - 2/
TOTAL 192,630 144,230 61,118 48,094 131,513 96,136
1/  Total receipts includes the following amounts received from other states and Canada: 1999-27,052, 2000-20,987.
2/  Included in "Total."

NEW YORK GROWN GRAPES PROCESSED
Tonnage by Variety and Production Area Received by Wineries and Processing Plants,
1999 and 2000; Prices Paid to Growers, 1998-2000 1/
New York Production Areas
Chautauqua-Erie Niagara County Finger Lakes State Total 2/ Average Prices Paid
by Variety
($ per ton)
1999 2000 1999 2000 1999 2000 1999 2000 1998 1999 2000
American Varieties:
Catawba 2,379 1,820 3/ 3/ 7,166 4,503 9,600 6,400 245 243 246
Concord 4/ 136,078 97,929 2,198 1,720 15,813 13,542 154,500 113,300 276 261 263
Delaware 183 3/ - - 994 592 1,180 630 270 279 272
Ives 3/ 3/ - - 176 126 210 140 370 384 385
Elvira 870 816 - - 3,668 2,839 4,540 3,660 240 238 244
Niagara 4/ 9,685 8,182 1,625 1,298 5,828 4,394 17,200 13,900 265 271 248
French Hybrids:
Aurora 3/ 3/ - - 4,215 4,040 4,240 4,060 245 248 240
Baco Noir 3/ 3/ - - 716 704 730 720 395 409 405
Cayuga White - 3/ - - 783 692 860 740 390 401 412
deChaunac - - 3/ - 902 659 940 670 375 285 391
Rougeon - - - - 652 529 660 540 380 404 384
Seyval Blanc 3/ 3/ - - 658 490 850 550 360 346 392
Vitis Vinifera:
All 3/ 3/ - 3/ 2,340 2,592 4,030 4,670 1,230 1,290 1,310
Other Varieties:
All 281 3/ 3/ - 2,225 1,780 2,460 2,020 325 322 324
TOTAL 4/ 149,476 108,932 3,922 3,146 46,166 37,482 202,000 152,000 308 283 295
1/  Includes New York grown grapes received at out of state plants.
2/  Includes Hudson Valley, Long Island, and other areas not listed.
3/  Quantities less than 100 tons not published. Amounts are included in other varieties by area and
     variety totals at state level.
4/  1999 and 2000 prices are preliminary. Estimates of future payments by cooperatives have been included
     based upon historical data.