E-mail: nass-ny@nass.usda.gov
(518) 457-5570

FRUIT


Released March 2006
Seasonal
No. 975-2-06

SURVEY OF WINERIES AND GRAPE PROCESSING PLANTS NEW YORK


New  York  grown  grapes  delivered  to  wineries  and processing  plants  (both in and out-of-state)  in  2005  totaled 175,000  tons (see Table 2).  This  represents  an increase  of  25  percent  from  the  140,000  tons  delivered  from  the  2004  crop.  The tonnage received from the Chautauqua-Erie-Cattaraugus Region was up 29 percent from the previous year.  Grapes received from the Finger Lakes Region were up 22 percent from the 2004 receipts. Tonnage originating  in  Niagara  County  was down 9 percent  from  a year  ago. New  York  grapes  grown  by  variety,  major  growing  area, and  varietal  prices  paid  by  processors  are  accounted  for on the reverse side of this release.

Wineries and processing plants located in New York State crushed a total of 162,026 tons of grapes in 2005, up 15 percent from the 140,455 tons processed from the 2004 crop. Receipts from New York growers accounted for 84 percent of the total with the remaining 16 percent coming from other states and Canada. Wine crushings in New York plants decreased 1 percent from last year to 46,380 tons and accounted for 29 percent of all grapes processed. Tonnage utilized for juice and other products increased 24 percent to 115,646 tons. Data for this publication was provided by New York and out-of-state wineries and processors who crushed New York grown grapes. Their cooperation is greatly appreciated.



Table 1.  GRAPES PROCESSED IN NEW YORK STATE
WINERIES AND PROCESSING PLANTS

Tonnages Received by Variety and Primary Use, 2004 and 2005

 

Total Receipts New York

Plants 1/

Primary Utilization

Wine

Sweet Juice and Other

2004

2005

2004

2005

2004

2005

             

American Varieties:

           

Catawba

5,229

6,368

2/

2/

2/

2/

Concord

110,447

129,909

24,491

22,526

85,956

107,384

Delaware

287

459

2/

2/

2/

2/

Ives

200

136

2/

2/

-

-

Elvira

4,883

5,669

4,883

5,669

-

-

Niagara

8,477

8,825

2/

2/

2/

2/

             

French Hybrids:

           

Aurora

2,208

1,917

2/

2/

2/

2/

Baco Noir

367

448

2/

2/

-

2/

Cayuga White

642

578

2/

2/

2/

2/

DeChaunac

158

139

2/

2/

2/

2/

Rougeon

129

486

2/

2/

-

2/

Seyval Blanc

410

451

2/

2/

2/

2/

             

Vitis Vinifera:

           

All

5,071

3,878

2/

2/

-

2/

             

Other Varieties:

           

All

1,945

2,763

2/

2/

2/

2/

             

TOTAL

140,455

162,026

47,077

46,380

93,378

115,646

1/ Total receipts includes the following amounts received from other states and Canada:  2004-35,237, 2005-25,493.
2/ Not published to avoid disclosing individual operations.


Table 2.  NEW YORK GROWN GRAPES PROCESSED

Tonnage by Variety and Production Area Received by Wineries and Processing Plants,
2004 and 2005; Prices Paid to Growers, 2003-2005 1/

 

New York Production Areas

Chautauqua-Erie

Niagara County

Finger Lakes

State Total 2/

Average Prices Paid
by Variety
($ per ton)

2004

2005

2004

2005

2004

2005

2004

2005

2003

2004

2005

                       

  American Varieties:

                   

    Catawba

620

947

69

30

4,071

5,073

4,760

6,050

242

234

4/

    Concord

85,431

117,435

2,158

2,324

11,546

15,257

99,300

135,100

200

193

4/

    Delaware

3/

108

-

-

217

352

290

460

284

338

4/

    Ives

3/

3/

-

-

172

124

200

140

349

371

4/

    Elvira

1,302

1,138

-

-

3,468

4,462

4,770

5,600

264

259

4/

    Niagara

14,312

11,777

1,779

1,308

3,696

3,913

19,800

17,000

381

231

4/

                       

  French Hybrids:

                   

    Aurora

3/

3/

-

-

2,196

1,914

2,210

1,940

260

279

4/

    Baco Noir

-

-

-

-

358

448

360

450

388

470

4/

     Cayuga White

-

-

3/

3/

586

522

640

580

394

375

4/

    DeChaunac

-

-

-

-

153

139

160

140

342

301

4/

    Rougeon

-

3/

-

-

130

481

130

490

313

433

4/

    Seyval Blanc

3/

3/

-

-

319

396

410

460

452

388

4/

                       

  Vitis Vinifera:

                     

    All

3/

3/

3/

3/

1,656

1,444

5,080

3,840

1,264

958

4/

                       

  Other Varieties:

                   

    All

145

221

3/

3/

1,701

2,446

1,890

2,750

410

362

4/

                       

  TOTAL

101,967

131,730

4,025

3,681

30,269

36,971

140,000

175,000

242

223

184

                       

1/   Includes New York grown grapes received at out of state plants.
2/   Includes Hudson Valley, Long Island, and other areas not listed.
3/   Not published to avoid disclosure of individual operations.
4/   Official estimates of prices for 2005 are not published.
      Estimates of future payments by cooperatives have been included based upon historical data.