FRUIT



Released: February 2007
Seasonal
No. 975-2-07

SURVEY OF WINERIES AND GRAPE PROCESSING PLANTS
NEW YORK

New  York  grown  grapes  delivered  to  wineries  and processing  plants  (both in and out-of-state)  in  2006  totaled 150,000  tons (see Table 2).  This  represents  a decrease  of  14  percent  from  the  175,000  tons  delivered  from  the  2005  crop.  The tonnage received from the Chautauqua-Erie-Cattaraugus Region was down 19 percent from the previous year.  Grapes received from the Finger Lakes Region were up 3 percent from the 2005 receipts. Tonnage originating  in  Niagara  County  was down 4 percent  from  a year  ago. New  York  grapes  grown  by  variety,  major  growing  area, and  varietal  prices  paid  by  processors  are  accounted  for on the reverse side of this release. 

Wineries and processing plants located in New York State crushed a total of 138,511 tons of grapes in 2006, down 15 percent from the 162,026 tons processed from the 2005 crop. Receipts from New York growers accounted for 83 percent of the total with the remaining 17 percent coming from other states and Canada. Wine crushings in New York plants increased 3 percent from last year to 47,833 tons and accounted for 35 percent of all grapes processed. Tonnage utilized for juice and other products decreased 22 percent to 90,678 tons. Data for this publication was provided by New York and out-of-state wineries and processors who crushed New York grown grapes. Their cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Table 1.  GRAPES PROCESSED IN NEW YORK STATE
WINERIES AND PROCESSING PLANTS

Tonnages Received by Variety and Primary Use, 2005 and 2006

 
Total Receipts New York Plants 1/
            Primary Utilization
                 Wine
           Sweet Juice and Other
2005
2006
2005
2006
2005
2006
             
  American Varieties:            
Catawba
6,368
4,032
2/
2/
2/
2/
Concord
129,909
109,780
22,526
24,007
107,384
  85,773
Delaware
459
504
2/
2/
2/
2/
Ives
136
149
2/
2/
-
-
Elvira
5,669
3,732
5,669
3,732
-
-
Niagara
8,825
6,253
2/
2/
2/
2/
             
French Hybrids:            
Aurora
1,917
3,155
2/
2/
2/
2/
Baco Noir
448
353
2/
2/
          2/
2/
Cayuga White
578
1,017
2/
2/
2/
2/
DeChaunac
139
104
2/
2/
2/
2/
Rougeon
486
311
2/
2/
          2/
2/
Seyval Blanc
451
       634
2/
2/
2/
2/
             
Vitis Vinifera:            
All
3,878
5,308
2/
2/
2/
2/
             
Other Varieties:            
All
2,763
3,179
2/
2/
2/
2/
             
TOTAL
162,026
138,511
46,380
47,833
115,646
90,678
             
1/ Total receipts includes the following amounts received from other states and Canada:  2005-25,493, 2006-24,112.
2/ Not published to avoid disclosing individual operations.


Table 2.  NEW YORK GROWN GRAPES PROCESSED

Tonnage by Variety and Production Area Received by Wineries and Processing Plants,
2005 and 2006; Prices Paid to Growers, 2004-2006 1/

 

New York Production Areas

Chautauqua-Erie
Niagara County
Finger Lakes
State Total 2/
Average Prices Paid
by Variety
($ per ton)

2005

2006

2005

2006

2005

2006

2005

2006

2004

2005

2006

                       

  American Varieties:

                   

    Catawba

947

527

30

30

4,073

3,563

5,000

4,120

234

225

4/

    Concord

118,385

93,079

2,324

1,619

16,207

13,902

137,000

108,600

189

170

4/

    Delaware

3/

3/

-

-

267

411

375

510

338

331

4/

    Ives

3/

3/

-

-

86

135

100

150

371

346

4/

    Elvira

1,103

855

-

-

3,922

2,965

5,025

3,820

259

264

4/

    Niagara

12,277

12,554

1,308

1,841

4,413

4,102

18,000

18,500

293

172

4/

                       

  French Hybrids:

                   

    Aurora

3/

3/

-

-

  1,574

3,270

1,600

3,300

279

333

4/

    Baco Noir

-

-

-

-

398

344

400

350

470

528

4/

     Cayuga White

-

-

3/

3/

442

952

500

1,020

375

432

4/

    DeChaunac

-

-

-

3/

129

109

130

110

301

460

4/

    Rougeon

3/

               -

-

-

431

320

440

320

433

467

4/

    Seyval Blanc

3/

3/

-

-

366

573

430

650

388

486

4/

                       

  Vitis Vinifera:

                     

    All

3/

3/

3/

3/

 1,274

3,274

3,500

5,200

958

932

4/

                       

  Other Varieties:

                   

    All

221

296

3/

3/

2,196

2,853

2,500

3,350

362

450

4/

                       

  TOTAL

133,143

107,628

3,681

3,529

35,728

36,773

175,000

150,000

220

209

255

                       

1/   Includes New York grown grapes received at out of state plants.
2/   Includes Hudson Valley, Long Island, and other areas not listed.
3/   Not published to avoid disclosure of individual operations.
4/   Official estimates of prices for 2006 will be published in January 2008.

Estimates of future payments by cooperatives have been included based upon historical data.