E-mail: nass-ny@nass.usda.gov
(518) 457-5570

FRUIT REPORT
February 2008

Seasonal
No. 975-2-08

SURVEY OF WINERIES AND GRAPE PROCESSING PLANTS
NEW YORK

New  York  grown  grapes  delivered  to  wineries  and processing  plants  (both in and out-of-state)  in  2007  totaled 176,000  tons (Table 2).  This represents an increase of 17 percent from the 150,000 tons delivered from the 2006 crop.  The tonnage received from the Chautauqua-Erie-Cattaraugus Region was up 24 percent from the previous year.  Grapes received from the Finger Lakes Region were down 4 percent from the 2006 receipts. Tonnage originating in Niagara County was down 2 percent from a year ago. New  York  grapes  grown  by  variety,  major  growing  area, and  varietal  prices  paid  by  processors  are  accounted  for on the reverse side of this release.

Wineries and processing plants located in New York State crushed a total of 158,303 tons of grapes in 2007, up 14 percent from the 138,511 tons processed from the 2006 crop (Table 1). Receipts from New York growers accounted for 86 percent of the total with the remaining 14 percent coming from other states and Canada. Wine crushings in New York plants increased 6 percent from last year to 50,834 tons and accounted for 32 percent of all grapes processed. Tonnage utilized for juice and other products increased 19 percent to 107,470 tons. Data for this publication was provided by New York and out-of-state wineries and processors who crushed New York grown grapes. Their cooperation is greatly appreciated.


Table 1.  GRAPES PROCESSED IN NEW YORK STATE
WINERIES AND PROCESSING PLANTS

Tonnages Received by Variety and Primary Use, 2006 and 2007

 

Total Receipts New York
Plants
1/

Primary Utilization

Wine

Sweet Juice and Other

2006

2007

2006

2007

2006

2007

             

 American Varieties:

           

Catawba

4,032

5,480

2/

2/

2/

2/

Concord

109,780

125,429

24,007

25,029

  85,773

100,400

Delaware

504

428

2/

2/

2/

2/

Elvira

3,732

5,123

3,732

5,123

-

-

Niagara

6,253

8,145

2/

2/

2/

2/

             

French Hybrids:

           

Aurora

3,155

2,415

2/

2/

2/

2/

Baco Noir

353

432

2/

2/

2/

2/

Cayuga White

1,017

1,105

2/

2/

2/

2/

DeChaunac

104

179

2/

2/

2/

2/

Rougeon

311

271

2/

2/

2/

2/

Seyval Blanc

       634

435

2/

2/

2/

2/

             

Vitis Vinifera:

           

All

5,308

5,906

2/

2/

2/

2/

             

Other Varieties:

           

All

3,328

2,955

2/

2/

2/

2/

             

TOTAL

138,511

158,303

47,833

50,834

90,678

107,470

             
1/  Total receipts includes the following amounts received from other states and Canada:  2006-24,112, 2007-       21,318.
2/  Not published to avoid disclosing individual operations.

Table 2.  NEW YORK GROWN GRAPES PROCESSED
Tonnage by Variety and Production Area Received by Wineries and Processing Plants,

2006 and 2007; Prices Paid to Growers, 2005-2007 1/

 

New York Production Areas

Chautauqua-Erie

Niagara County

Finger Lakes

State Total 2/

Average Prices Paid
by Variety

($ per ton)

2006

2007

2006

2007

2006

2007

2006

2007

2005

2006

2007

   

American Varieties:

  Catawba

527

930

30

30

3,563

3,920

4,120

4,930

225

219

  4/

  Concord

93,079

115,660

1,619

1,592

13,902

13,285

108,600

131,000

170

222

  4/

  Delaware

3/

3/

-

-

411

290

510

430

331

290

  4/

  Elvira

855

1,135

-

-

2,965

3,675

3,820

4,810

264

285

  4/

  Niagara

12,554

15,260

1,841

1,680

4,102

3,960

18,500

21,000

172

232

  4/

   

French Hybrids:

  Aurora

3/

3/

-

-

3,270

2,460

3,300

2,480

333

373

  4/

  Baco Noir

-

3/

-

-

344

399

350

430

528

327

  4/

   Cayuga  White

-

3/

3/

-

952

982

1,020

1,090

432

376

  4/

  DeChaunac

-

-

3/

-

109

172

110

180

460

384

  4/

  Rougeon

-

-

-

-

320

270

320

270

467

299

  4/

  Seyval Blanc

3/

3/

-

-

573

339

650

430

486

276

  4/

   

Vitis Vinifera:

  All

3/

242

3/

3/

3,274

2,975

5,200

5,770

949

865

  4/

   

Other Varieties:

  All

310

336

3/

3/

2,988

2,716

3,500

3,180

478

325

  4/

   

  TOTAL

107,628

133,768

3,529

3,473

36,773

35,433

150,000

176,000

209

255

259

   

1/   Includes New York grown grapes received at out of state plants.
2
/   Includes Hudson Valley, Long Island, and other areas not listed.
3
/   Not published to avoid disclosure of individual operations.
4
/   Official estimates of prices for 2007 will be published in January 2009.
      Estimates of future payments by cooperatives have been included based upon historical data.