CropScape and Cropland Data Layer
CropScape | FAQ’s | Metadata | National Download | Other CDL Citations
Announcement1: The 2017 CDL at 30m resolution was released Jan. 29, 2018.
Announcement2: The reprocessed 2008 and 2009 CDLs at 30m resolution were released Dec 11, 2017. The associated confidence layers were also released.
Announcement3: Please visit/bookmark the CropScape portal at https://nassgeodata.gmu.edu/CropScape to visualize, interact, and download the CDL.
Announcement4: Users can download the national 2008 - 2016 CDL's & 2016 Confidence Layer from National Downloads. Warning many file sizes > 2gb.
Announcement5: View our latest presentations in .PDF format.
- Boryan, C., & Yang, Z. (2017). Integration of the Cropland Data Layer Based Automatic Stratification Method into the Traditional Area Frame Construction Process. Survey Research Methods, 11(3), 289-306. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.18148/srm/2017.v11i3.6725. Posted 10/26/2017.
- Boryan, C., Z. Yang, P. Willis, and L. Di, Developing Crop Specific Area Frame Stratifications based on Geospatial Crop Frequency and Cultivation Data Layers, Journal of Integrative Agriculture 2017 16(2): pp 312-323, posted 4/26/17.
- Published by the Office of Energy Policy and New Uses, Office of the Chief Economist, USDA: Wind Energy Land Distribution in the United States of America: Irene M. Xiarchos, OCE USDA; Avery Sandborn, Spatial Analysis Research Section, National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. July 2017.
- Boryan, C. G. Yang, Z., Seffrin, B. (2016). Post Stratification Assessment of the NASS Automated Stratification Method based on the Cropland Data Layer, IGARSS 2016, Beijing China, July 10-15, posted 5/17/17.
- Yang, Z., L. Hu, G. Yu, R. Shrestha, L. Di, C. Boryan, and R. Mueller, Web Service-Based SMAP Soil Moisture Data Visualization, Dissemination and Analytics Based on VegScape Framework, IGARSS 2016, Beijing China, July 10-15, posted 8/10/16.
- Yang, Z., R. Shrestha, W. Crow, L. Di, Evaluation of assimilated SMOS Soil Moisture data for US cropland Soil Moisture monitoring IGARSS 2016, Beijing China, July 10-15, posted 5/18/17.
- Shrestha, R., L. Di, E. Yu, L. Kang, Lin Li, S. Rahman, M. Deng, Z. Yang, “Regression based Corn Yield Assessment using MODIS Based Daily NDVI in Iowa State,” The Fifth International Conference on Agro-Geoinformatics, July 2016, Tianjin,China, posted 5/18/17.
- Yu, E., L. Di, L. Kang, R. Shrestha, S. Rahman, L. Lin, M. Deng, Z. Yang, “Online parameterization for WOFOST for United States using open geospatial standards,” The Fifth International Conference on Agro-geoinformatics, July 2016, Tianjin,China, posted 5/18/17.
- Johnson, D., "A comprehensive assessment of the correlations between field crop yields and commonly used MODIS products", International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, V (52), October 2016, pp. 65–81, posted 8/10/16.
- Boryan, C., Z. Yang, and P. Willis, “A Novel Method for Area Frame Stratification based on Geospatial Crop Planting Frequency Data Layers” Proc. of the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2015 IEEE International, Milan, Italy, July 26 – 31, 2015. Posted 6/13/16.
- Johnson, D., (2015). The role of remote sensing for regional monitoring of U.S. crop condition and yield, Evaluation of drought and drought impacts through interdisciplinary methods. Global Change Research Centre AS CR, ISBN: 978-80-87902-12-7, pp. 47-53. Posted 11/19/15.
- Johnson, D., R. Mueller, and P. Willis, "The utility of the Cropland Data Layer for monitoring US grassland extent" Proceedings of the 3rd Biennial Conference on the Conservation of America's Grasslands. September 29-October 1, 2015, Fort Collins, CO. Washington, DC: National Wildlife Federation. Pages 15-19. Posted 07/08/2016.
- Seffrin, R., 2015. From SAS® Data to Interactive Web Graphics Built Through PROC JSON, Southeast SAS Users Conference, Sept 27 - 29, 2015. Posted 11/18/15.
- Boryan, C., Z. Yang, L. Di, and K. Hunter, “A new automatic stratification method for U.S. agricultural area sampling frame construction based on the Cropland Data Layer,” pp. 1939-1404, May 2014, DOI: 10.1109/JSTARS.2014.2322584. Posted 11/18/15.
- Boryan, C. and Z. Yang, "Operational implementation of a new automatic stratification method using geospatial cropland data layers in the NASS area frame section", Proceedings of IGARSS 2014 & 35th Canadian Symposium on Remote Sensing, Quebec City, Canada, July 13-18, 2014.
- Han, W.,Z. Yang, L. Di, and B. Zhang, “Enhancing agricultural geospatial data dissemination and applications using geospatial Web services,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, VOL. 7, NO. 11, NOVEMBER, 2014. Posted 11/18/15.
- Wang, C., C. Zhong, and Z. Yang, “Assessing bioenergy-driven agricultural land use change and biomass quantities with MODIS time series in the U.S. Midwest,” J. Appl. Remote Sens. 8(1), 085198 (Nov 03, 2014). DOI: 10.1117/1.JRS.8.085198. Posted 11/18/15.
- Boryan, C., Z. Yang, and P. Willis, "US geospatial crop frequency data layers", August 11-14, 2014, Third International Conference on Agro-geoinformatics, Beijing, China, DOI:10.1109/Agro-Geoinformatics.2014.6910657. Posted 6/4/15.
- Published from 2014 IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium by C. Boryan and Z. Yang. Implementation of a new automatic stratification method using geospatial cropland data layers in NASS area frame construction July 13-18, 2014 Quebec City, Canada. Posted 6/4/15.
- Published from 2014 IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing by C. Boryan, Z. Yang, L. Di, and K. Hunt. "A New Automatic Stratification Method for U.S. Agricultural Area Sampling Frame Construction Based on the Cropland Data Layer" April 2014. Posted 7/22/14.
- USDA Blog by R. Mueller. Need for Geospatial Data Grows Across the Country April 2014. Posted 7/22/14.
- Published from 2014 IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing by W. Han, Z. Yang, L. Di, B. Zhang and C. Peng. "Enhancing Agricultural Geospatial Data Dissemination and Applications Using Geospatial Web Services" V. 11 (7), March 2014 PP. 1-9. Posted 7/21/14.
- Published from 2014 Journal of Geography by W. Han, Z. Yang, L. Di, A. Yagci, and S. Han. Making Cropland Data Layer Data Accessible and Actionable in GIS Education Posted 1/31/14.
- Published from ASABE by W. Han, Z. Yang, L. Di, and P. Yue. A Geospatial Web Service Approach For Creating On-Demand Cropland Data Layer Thematic Maps 57(1), 239-247. Posted 6/4/15.
- Published from Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers by W. Han, Z. Yang, L. Di, and P. Yue. A Geospatial Web Service Approach for Creating On-Demand Cropland Data Layer Thematic Maps. V. 57, (1) PP 239-247. Posted 7/21/14.
- Published from Remote Sensing of Environment by D. Johnson. An assessment of pre- and within-season remotely sensed variables for forecasting corn and soybean yields in the United States. V. 141, PP 116 - 128. Posted 1/31/14.
- Published from ICAS VI, Rio de Janerio, Brazil by R. Mueller and J. Harris. Reported Uses of CropScape and the National Cropland Data Layer Program Posted 1/31/14.
- Published from SAS Southeastern Users Group Meeting, by R. Seffrin. Evaluating the Accuracy Assessment Methods of a Thematic Raster through SAS Resampling Techniques and GTL Visualizations Oct. 21-23, Tampa FL. Posted 1/31/14.
- Published from Proc. of the Second International Conference on Agro-Geoinformatics, Fairfax, Virginia, by Z. Yang. Exploring Continuous Corn Cropping Patterns and Their Relationship with Geographic Factors Aug. 12-16, 2013, Posted 1/31/14.
- Published from Proc. of the Second International Conference on Agro-Geoinformatics, Fairfax, Virginia, by W. Han, L. Di, and Z. Yang. Developing geoprocessing service for Cropland Data Layer thematic map creation" Aug. 12-16, 2013, PP 572-576. Posted 7/22/14.
- Published from Proc. of 2013 IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium, Melbourne, Australia, by Z. Yang, G. Yu, L. Di, B. Zhang, W. Han, and R. Mueller. Web Service-Based Vegetation Condition Monitoring System - VegScape Posted 1/31/14.
- Published from Proc. of 2013 IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium, Melbourne, Australia, by C. Boryan and Z. Yang. "Deriving Crop Specific Covariate Data Sets From Multi-Year NASS Geospatial Cropland Data Layers". Proceedings of the IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS 2013, Melbourne, Australia, July 2013. Posted 1/31/14.
- Published from Proc. of 2013 IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium, Melbourne, Australia, by Z. Yang, R. Mueller, W. Crowe. US National Cropland Soil Moisture Monitoring Using SMAP Posted 1/31/14.
- Published from USDA Blog by R. Mueller. Bringing Ag Data to Life through Satellite Imagery Posted 5/1/13.
- Published from SAS Global Forum by A. Zakzeski, R. Seffrin. An Innovative Approach to Integrating SAS Macros with GIS Software Products to Produce County-Level Accuracy Assessments Posted 1/31/14.
- Published from IGARSS 2012 Conference by C. Boryan, Z. Yang, and L. Di. "Deriving 2011 Cultivated Land Cover Data Sets Using USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service Historic Cropland Data Layers". Proc. of IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, July 22-27, 2012, Munich, Germany. Posted 10/24/12.
- Published from Agricultural Systems by D. Johnson A 2010 map estimate of annually tilled cropland within the conterminous United States. Posted 10/24/12.
- Published from Proc. of the First International Conference on Agro-Geoinformatics, Fairfax, Virginia, by C. Boryan and Z. Yang A new land cover classification based stratification method for area sampling frame construction. Posted 7/22/14.
- Published from Proc. of the First International Conference on Agro-Geoinformatics, Fairfax, Virginia, by G. Yu, L. Di, Z. Yang, Y. Shen, Z. Chen, and B. Zhang Corn growth stage estimation using time series vegetation index. PP. 1 -6. Posted 7/22/14.
- Published from the Wisconsin State Cartographers Office by L. Ebinger 133 map categories! How the US Department of Agriculture solved a complex cartographic design problem. Posted 4/25/12.
- Published from June 2012, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture by W. Han, Z. Yang, L. Di, and R. Mueller CropScape: A Web service based application for exploring and disseminating US conterminous geospatial cropland data products for decision support. Posted 4/9/12.
- Published from the Office of Management and Budget. March 7, 2012. Report to Congress on the Implementation of the E-Government Act of 2002 and CropScape citation excerpt. Posted 4/5/17.
- Published from GeoCarto Intl by C. Boryan, Z. Yang, R. Mueller, and M. Craig. "Monitoring US Agriculture: the US Department of Agriculture, National Agricultural Statistics Service, Cropland Data Layer Program". 2011, 26, (5): 341-358. Posted 1/30/2012.
- USDA Blog USDA Celebrates the United States’ Entry into the Open Government Partnership. Posted 9/20/2011.
- USDA Blog Farm Internet Access on the Rise, Now Let’s Connect. Posted 8/16/2011.
- On September 14, 2011 the CropScape-Cropland Data Layer Project Team received a group achievement award at the 63rd Annual USDA Secretary's Honor Awards. Posted 9/15/11.
- Published from GeoCarto Intl by C. Wang, F. Fritschib, G. Staceyc and Z. Yang Phenology-Based Assessment of Perennial Energy Crops in North American Tallgrass Prairie. Annals of the Association of American Geographers. V. 101 (4) 2011 Posted 7/22/2014.
- USDA Blog New Geospatial Data Service Now Available. Posted 1/11/2011.
- NASS releases the new CDL visualization portal CropScape.
- NASS press release "NASS Launches New CropScape Geospatial Data Service". Posted 1/10/2011.
For questions and/or comments please contact the Geospatial Information Branch.
An independent CDL
accuracy assessment performed by the University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Institute of Natural Resources
Sustainability titled: Assessment and
Potential of the 2007 USDA-NASS Cropland Data Layer for Statewide
Annual Land Cover Applications
A CDL History White Paper: A brief
history from 1971 to present